Feb 9, 2015

Today I am Feeling Blessed

Offer extended till Feb 28th. :)

Well today was humbling. I was given a tour of the Siloam Mission where my friend Brenda Bourns works. It was wonderful to see the inner workings a such a worthwhile place. I learnt that over 110 people can feel safe and warm each and every night, that they have places to put what few belongings they have somewhere secure so they can sleep with both eyes closed instead of having to sleep with one eye open on the streets just to stay safe and not lose what little they have. They can shower in the morning and start the day afresh, and then eat a healthy breakfast to start their day. There are over 1400 meals a day served at Siloam, breakfast, lunch and dinner. That's a lot of food.






They have somewhere to get clothes, maybe a sleeping bag if they still live on the streets, a blanket to keep them warm during the day or nights in our frigid winter weather. If they are sick, or hurt or have trouble seeing there is free medical, there is a weight room for them to rehabilitate from injuries, a mail room to get mail as most have no fixed address. How do you gets job, a social insurance card, or anything without an address to send it too? How do you get a job without clothes for an interview, or an address to put on the application form.





Everyone of these things we take for granted everyday, because we can. There but for the grace of God go I. As many of you know I'm not religious but I can't sum this up any other way. One month of not having enough money to cover my mortgage, buy food for my son and I, put gas in my van to get the things we need to live and work and I might might be in the same position. I'm extremely fortunate to have parents that can help me when I need, but many if not most of the people that seek the safe haven of the Siloam Mission don't have the safety net that many of us do.
It was eye opening and heart lifting experience today, yes heart lifting. I saw hope and friendships and people looking to change their lives. The Siloam Mission gives them the most basic safety net; a bed, a warm place to seek shelter and a meal to nourish them, I take that for granted, that many of us take for granted everyday.

I came home and realized that as amazing as Siloam Mission is I still need to make a living because I don't want to be there as anyone other then a donor or volunteer. I thought, how can I help. What can little old me do, I don't have a ton of cash, or food to give but I make jewellery, some people even like it :)
I decided that this week, that as we all spend copious amounts of money on the ones we love, that I would give 20% of the proceeds from all of my heart designs to the Siloam Mission. Their logo is a heart, I love to make hearts, it is almost Valentine's Day the heartiest day of the year and this is what I can do to give back.





Help me to give back, all you have to do is decide what design you want to give to your hunny, there is no extra charge to you, heck if you live in Winnipeg I will even deliver it to your door. Let's give back and continue the tradition of being the most generous city in Canada.





All of the hearts are on my website, www.covetdesigns.com right on the front page.


Tannis

No comments:

Post a Comment